A Pratt man escaped injury Monday morning following a pre-dawn fire at his small mobile home residence at Country Estates.


A Pratt man escaped injury Monday morning following a pre-dawn fire at his small mobile home residence at Country Estates.
Justin Thompson, 25, was awakened shortly before 6 a.m. when he heard a popping sound by his refrigerator and heater. He heard an electrical cracking sound and then saw smoke coming from behind the wall.
He quickly grabbed his dog Ruckus, a black Labrador retriever, and got out of his small mobile home and called the fire department.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, flames had burned through the outside of the home opposite the refrigerator and heater and were coming through the roof, said Pratt Fire Chief David Kramer.
“The flames were very visible,” Kramer said.
Firefighters quickly knocked down the fire and were on scene for about an hour taking care of hot spots. It was not clear if the problem was with the refrigerator or with the heating, Kramer said.
Much of the interior suffered smoke and water damage with extensive fire damage around the refrigerator and the exterior of the residence.
No one was injured in the fire.