A Pratt family escaped unharmed from an early morning house fire on Stout Street.


A Pratt family escaped unharmed from an early morning house fire on Stout Street.

Wendy Stade, her son Evan and their dog Rem fled their house at 123 Stout at 11:48 p.m. after Wendy went into the bathroom and discovered the built in heat lamps in the ceiling were arcing and some fire, said Pratt Assistant Fire Chief George Stevens.

Stevens is not certain if it was the heat lamps or faulty wiring but they were old.

When she discovered the fire Wendy woke her son, grabbed the dog, went out the back door of the house and called the fire department. They sat on a across the street neighbors porch and watched firefighters battle the fire. 

When firefighters arrived on the scene, heavy white smoke was pouring out the attic vents at both ends of the ceiling.

The fire was confined to the attic that suffered the most damage especially above the bathroom. Rafters and ceiling joists were badly burned. A hole had to be cut in the roof for ventilation and to remove all the ceiling insulation because it was covering hot spots, Stevens said. Vents were also removed for access to the attic and that provided a way to remove the smoke and fire damaged insulation.

Firefighters were on site until about 3 a.m. baby sitting the house and looking for hot spots. It took another hour to get equipment cleaned and oxygen bottles refilled at the fire station before firefighters went home at 4 a.m.

Other than the roof damage, there was minimal smoke damage to the house with a little water damage to the ceiling. Stevens estimated damage to the house between $17,000 and $20,000.