Girls lose 50-44; boys lose 36-34

A cold shooting second half cost the Pratt High School Lady Greenbacks against Lyons on Friday night’s Greenback Homecoming.
Pratt led 25-19 at halftime, but were outscored in each of the post- intermission stanzas to end up falling 50-44 to the Lyons Lions.
The Greenbacks got off to a good start. Payton Hoeme and Jenson Maydew each scored a pair of baskets in the opening frame, and Whitney Tilley chipped in a hoop and Stonie Flemming potted a 3 to stake PHS to 13-4 lead after one quarter.
The second quarter started out much the same, with Pratt continuing to score steadily. However, toward the end of Q2, Lyons—who had been facing tough shooting luck to that point—began to find the range, and also started taking the ball to the basket.
The Lions made a little run toward the end of the half that proved to be ominous. The teams went to the locker rooms with Pratt only up by 6, 25-19.
The third quarter saw Lyons’ Hollinger catch fire as she banged in a trio of trifectas and a couple of free throws. Largely due to her efforts, Lyons knotted up the score at 40 heading into the decisive period.
Pratt literally could not buy a basket in Q4 as the only points they managed came from the charity stripe. Lyons got ahead, and Pratt just couldn’t get the momentum back.
“They turned up the defensive heat on us in the second half,” observed PHS head coach Dean Rausch. “We lost the momentum and just couldn’t find a way to get it back.”
“When we did break their press, we didn’t capitalize,” Rausch continued. “We didn’t make them pay.”
The Pratt girls thus lost another close decision, 50-44 to Lyons.

PRATT  13 12 13 6  44
LYONS  4  15 19 12 50

Bailey 3; Hook 4; Tilley 2; Stonie Flemming 11; Ramos 4; Payton Hoeme 12; Maydew 8

When Garret Smith was out early in the season with an injury, the Pratt High School Greenbacks had a difficult time putting points on the board. With him injured once again, many might have thought the Frogs would once again be facing offensive challenges. And they were right, if Friday’s homecoming game with Lyons is any indication.
In a contest where neither team was exactly ripping the nets to shreds, the Lyons Lions ultimately prevailed 36-34 in overtime. It was the second time in as many games that Pratt has suffered a heartbreaking two-point defeat.
The first three minutes of the game passed without either team putting the ball in the hole. In fact, the entire first half went by without much scoring. It was 12-10 at the intermission.
Pratt had one nice little run toward the end of the second quarter: on consecutive possessions, Chase Hageman connected on a jumper from the elbow, Skylar Dean scored on a dribble-drive, and Christian Kurz laid in a Windex basket. Such offensive efficiency was, however, the exception rather than the rule in the first half.
Luckily for Pratt, Lyons was not finding the mark very often either. In the first half, the teams combined for a rather ugly 8/36 from the floor. Lyons held the ball for the last shot of the first half, hoping to tie up the game heading into the locker room. After shaving a minute+ off the clock, the Lions turned it over when they attempted to attack the basket—a sequence that seemed to typify the offensive futility by both teams in the first half.
Pratt was behind by 3 with 1:15 left, but got the game tied as Skylar Dean hit 3 FT and Chase Hageman hit 2, while Lyons only made 2 of their FT down the stretch. In overtime, Lyons inexplicably hit three 3s to seize control and ended up holding onto their lead to claim a 36-34 win.