A Pratt teenage boy climbed onto a porch roof to escape a burning house Thursday afternoon in Pratt.
A Pratt teenage boy escaped from the second story of a burning house Thursday afternoon in Pratt.
Dakota Kocher, 15, was asleep upstairs in the house at 423 North Jackson when he woke up to a room full of smoke. He said he was having difficulty breathing and couldn't see anything through the heavy smoke.
He made is way across the room by using his hands to touch the low, angled ceiling and went to an upstairs door that led out onto the porch roof. He climbed down off the porch and ran to a neighbor's house to call for help, Kocher said.
The house was full of smoke when firefighters arrived but they quickly knocked the fire down. Firefighters were on scene about two hours. The inside of the house suffered very extensive smoke and fire damage. A dog and another pet died in the fire.
Fire Chief David Kramer said the probable cause of the fire was an electric blanket on a couch in the downstairs living room.
See Saturday's Tribune for more details.