A full weekend of activities is slated for April 12-14. Some require action now.
The Beaver Backer Bash scheduled for April 12 is the 25th annual event; special in that respect, but more so because it kicks off a weekend of activities for a Pratt Community College Diamond Jubilee celebration.
Seating for the dinner and auction will be limited to 250. Jody Jorns, executive director of the PCC Foundation, encourages people to get their tickets early, as she expects a large crowd. Alumni from several states have already responded to special invitations. She does not expect that any tickets will remain to be sold at the door.
The dinner will include two Italian entrees, salad, dessert and wine, along with a commemorative glass.
The Bash will be co-hosted by 1985 Outstanding Alumnus Don Woolfolk, San Diego, and Don Blasi, Pratt. Special recognition will occur for Dorotha Giannangelo, a member of the Class of 1942 and the 1968 Outstanding Alumnus Award winner, and for William Wojciechowski, who will retire this summer after serving as college president for 24 years.
The evening will feature both a live and silent auction. Jorns is in the process of finalizing donations at this time, and she's excited about what has been contributed.
Janie Whitman, an administrative assistant at PCC, is creating a commemorative quilt that is expected to generate a lot of interest.
It is centered by the 75th anniversary logo, and surrounded by hand-embroidered renditions of Bucky the Beaver, as he has evolved through the ages, and blocks made from athletic T-shirts. A blue satin border, and blue and silver sashing strips will finish it off. Glen Davis will do the machine quilting.
Whitman has also created a smaller, throw-sized quilt, also using T-shirts in a variety of colors.
Darrell and Irene Shumway will prepare a "surf and turf" dinner of Alaskan King Crab and beef filet, for a party of eight successful bidders.
The auction will also include original artwork, excursions, K-State and KU tickets, and other items that have made the Bash a successful fund-raiser in past years.
Pratt Community College awards about $800,000 in scholarships each year, Jorns said, and the Foundation contributes $168,000. The auction typically raises about $35,000.
More than 85 percent of PCC students rely on some type of financial aid.
PCC Diamond Jubilee, April 12-14
• Beaver Backer Bash dinner and auction, April 12, doors open at 6 p.m. at Pratt Area 4-H Center. Tickets are $20 or $30 for reserved seating. Contact Jody Jorns at the PCC Foundation Office at 620-450-2179. No tickets at the door.
• "South Pacific" by PCC Performing Arts Dept.
April 12, 7:30 p.m., $5
April 13, 7:30, preceded by dinner, hosted by Friends of the Arts and Beavers on Stage. Show and dinner for $15. Call Misty Beck, 620-450-2212, for reservations.
April 14: 2:30 p.m., $5
• 5K Road Race and 1K Walk/Kids Run, April 13, 7:30 a.m. Registration due by March 30 to guarantee a T-shirt. Find the link at prattcc.edu, or contact Ryan Turner at email@example.com
• Outstanding Alumnus of the Year award at 3 p.m. April 13 and Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony at 4 p.m., both at Carpenter Auditorium.
• Beaver Backer 4-Person Golf Scramble at 9 a.m. April 14 at Park Hills Country Club. Register by contacting Kurt McAfee at 620-450-2159 or 316-461-8076 or Stephanie Thompson at 620-450-2155 or 620-388-3065. $200 for a team of four, cash payout, prizes and raffle. Limited to 36 teams.