A strong odor from a storage closet at Pratt Rehabilitation and Residence Center prompted staff to call the Pratt Fire Department Monday afternoon to find out the source of the smell.
Firefighters found a burned out compact fluorescent lamp or CFL in the light fixture in the hall storage room in the south wing of the building. A CFL is the familiar curli-cue, long lasting light that promises an extremely long life.
Pratt Fire Chief Dave Kramer said when these lights burn out, it is common for them to produce a strong odor and it is not a danger. It is also not unusual for the bulb to emit a popping sound when they burn out.
Many web sites are available about CFLs and what to look for when they burn out.