|
|
PrattTribune - Pratt, KS
  • Weekend brings fire alarms, accidents

    • email print
  • Emergency workers were kept busy over the weekend responding to wrecks and fire calls that turned out not to be fires.
    Saturday morning, about a half hour before noon, a two-vehicle accident sent two to Pratt Regional Medical Center. Kati Westerhaus, 27 of Iuka, was eastbound on NW 110th Street in a 2008 Dodge Avenger when 37-year-old Ryan Russell of Pratt was northbound on NW 10th Avenue in a 1998 Dodge Dakota pickup and failed to yield at the stop sign. Russell pulled though the intersection in front of Westerhaus who broadsided the pickup on the driver's door.
    The force of the collision shoved the driver's door all the way to the frame of the pickup that came to a rest upright in a field on the northeast corner of the intersection. The Avenger spun around and came to rest upright facing west on the northeast corner of the intersection.
    The pickup was so badly damaged that rescue workers had to remove Russell from the passenger's side.
    Pratt County EMS transported Russell to Pratt Regional Medical Center where he was admitted but later released.
    At first Westerhaus was not transported but after a brief time another ambulance was summoned and she was transported to PRMC as well where she was treated and released. Westerhaus' passenger, 1-year-old Harper Westerhaus was not injured in the accident. All three were properly restrained.
    Several hours earlier two vehicles were involved in a non-injury accident south of Pratt on U.S. 281. Both vehicles were damaged but drivable and no one was injured.
    On Friday, Pratt Firefighters were called to Dillons to investigate the report of a smell of gas. After checking Dillons and all houses in the block north of Dillions it was determined the odor was just properly vented gasoline from fuel storage takes that had collected around the office at the fuel island.
    On Saturday evening, Pratt firefighters responded to Holiday Inn Express and Suites to a pulled fire alarm. It was determined there was no fire and that a child had pulled the alarm.

        calendar