After a two-year search, the Pratt Regional Airport has finally gotten a lead on a snowplow truck that meets the made in America criteria of a vehicle that is 60 percent made in America.
That lead comes from the city of Joplin, Mo. that has an International truck that meets the 60 percent made in America criteria, said Reid Bell, Pratt Regional Airport manager at the Airport Authority Board of Directors meeting Thursday.
The airport wants to use federal entitlement funds available through a Federal Aviation Administration grant to pay for the truck but in order for the truck to qualify for the FAA grant, it has to be 60 percent made in America.
Bell said he would talk to the dealer that sold the truck to the city of Joplin and to other dealers as well but at least the search is on the right track.
Besides the truck, the airport is also planning to build a storage equipment shed to house the snowplow and other equipment.
Getting affordable bids for the building has been difficult as well. So far the bids have come in way over what the engineer had indicated.
Currently, the engineer is reworking the specifications for the building and for the snowplow truck. Bell is hopeful that a truck will soon be located. Once that happens and a price for the building and truck has been established, the airport will apply for FAA grant in January 2014.
If approved, the entitlement funds from the grant would cover 90 percent of the cost of the truck and building. The airport would have to cover the other 10 percent of the cost, Bell said.
Airports that meet FAA standards for Airport Improvement Programs gets access to $150,000 entitlement money every year for four years for AIP projects. If the money is not used it goes back to FAA discretionary funds and the process starts over.
The Board approved a bid of $3,375 from Becker and Sons to apply a covering over the entire roof of one of the T-hangars to stop the leaks.