The 66th annual Pratt County Fair is only three months away, July 23 through 26. This year’s Theme Committee is hoping to not only bring out community pride, but country pride too with this year’s theme, “Country Pride, County Wide.”
The committee hopes that all members of the community will take part in activities at the Fair to show their red, white, and blue Country Pride. Here is a glimpse at this year’s theme contests to help get the ideas started:
• Students in grades kindergarten through fourth grade will get the first chance to participate in a theme contest when coloring contest pages are delivered to their schools in late April. The winners will be displayed in the hallway of the Exhibit Hall.
• Area photographers will be asked to snap a patriotic photo to share with the public. Upcoming holidays like Memorial Day and Independence Day would be great opportunities to capture those images.
• There’s nothing more American than apple pie, right? For local bakers and food enthusiasts, the Foods Department will be looking for your favorite apple dessert recipe. So whether it’s apple pie, apple cobbler, or your own invention, as long as there is an apple in the recipe, it can be entered.
• Quilters will be challenged to create their favorite star design quilt block from fabrics already chosen for them. The quilt block kits will cost approximately $5 each and will be available in May. This year’s entries are sure to be spectacular!
• Lego enthusiasts, this one is for you. The Arts and Crafts Department is challenging you to construct a Lego sculpture that highlights our theme.
Winners of the contests will be selected by both judges and the public, and prizes and ribbons sponsored by the Pratt County Fair Association will be awarded. So plan now to attend and take part in the 2014 Pratt County Fair and join us as we celebrate our “Country Pride, County Wide.@
For more information, please contact the Pratt County Extension Office at 620-672-6121 or visit www.pratt.ksu.edu.