Fellowship dinner planned after worship
Sunday, May 18th, the Pratt Free Methodist Church will be celebrating 50 years of ministry in its current location at 1024 Maple. The church, originally named the Eden Valley Free Methodist Church, began in the early 1880s about 11 miles north of Pratt where the group met in the Bethel sod school house nicknamed the “wagonhammer.”
The first appointed pastor was the Rev. E.G. Gary in 1889. The church has a long history of people being called to serve the Lord in a wide variety of ministries. At least 10 pastors and two missionaries have come from the Eden Valley / Pratt Free Methodist Church.
Due to the migration of the population away from the rural areas and under the leadership of the Rev. Harold Wilcox, the church decided to relocate to the city of Pratt where the church purchased property at its current location in September of 1962.
Beginning in February of 1963 the church held services in Pratt at Williams Mortuary and met for the first time in their newly completed building on March 22, 1964. An official dedication service for the new facility was held on May 17, 1964.
Special guests planning to attend are former Pastor Floyd Hopkins, the Rev. Tom Griffith, originally from the Iuka area, Great Plains Conference Superintendent the Rev. Chuck Frankenfeld, and the Rev. Roy Keller, another former Iuka resident.
Current Pastor Rev. Terry Stafford says the church intends to celebrate the long history of the church as well as many of the things God is currently doing among us. Following the morning service which begins at 11 a.m., there will be a fellowship dinner. Anyone with previous connections to our church or just wanting to visit with friends formerly from our area is invited for dinner.
For more information call Rev. Terry Stafford at 785-969-2565.