University credits can transfer back to community and technical colleges, to complete qualifications for a degree or certification.

Community colleges work hard to make certain their credits will transfer to four-year schools. An agreement signed this month by the Kansas Board of Regents and all 32 public post-secondary institution presidents, guarantees that four-year institution credits can transfer back to community colleges, allowing students to gain an associate degree or certification after they have left the school.

"Recognizing reverse transfer as an important element of a seamless educational system, Kansas state universities, community colleges, technical colleges, Washburn University and Washburn Institute of Technology, agree to work together to develop a process to assist students to complete coursework for and attain all certificates and degrees for which they are eligible," was the opening statement of a document.

Presenting the signed resolution to Chairman Fred Logan at this month's meeting of the Board, Emporia State University President Michael Shonrock, co-chair of the FY2014 System Council of Presidents, read: "This commitment aims to better facilitate the transfer of students, enhance the number and quality of learning options at Kansas public postsecondary institutions, and provide a seamless transfer process for students."

Statewide reverse transfer policies are now in effect in 20 U.S. states, including Kansas, following the approval of a Board of Regents policy in March 2014.

Within a student's first semester, each university will now notify all students who transfer coursework from a community college or technical college if they are eligible to be considered for reverse transfer degree status, and which courses are needed to finish the related degree. Students who then complete the coursework for a given associate's degree are eligible to receive that degree, administered automatically by correspondence between the university and community college or technical college the student last attended.

“I was one credit short of receiving my associate’s degree when I transferred from Johnson County Community College, to Washburn University,” says Briana Lewis, a recent graduate in the College of Arts and Sciences. “It would have been so rewarding to have been issued that degree once I completed the classes for it, after putting forth so much hard work, time, and money." Briana continued, "This is a great thing, and I believe many will benefit from the implementation of reverse transfer in Kansas.”

States with policies allowing or requiring reverse transfer procedures as of June 2014 include: Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas and West Virginia.

For more information, contact Breeze Richardson at (785) 291-3969 or