An early morning fire Oct. 10 destroyed a Pratt home and killed several family pets.

Three Pratt residents escaped injury following an early morning house fire on Oct. 10 in Pratt. Pratt fire crews were called to Country Club Estates, Lot C3, at 3 a.m. and found smoke coming out every window and door.

Home owner Lei Fowler said she had gotten up to use the bathroom and discovered smoke coming from a floor vent in the bathroom. She quickly stepped out of the bathroom and saw smoke everywhere in the house. She immediately woke her son, Mark McClane, and house guest, Brian Hagen and got everyone out of the house, Fowler said.

Fowler uses an oxygen supply machine but shut it off before she went to the bathroom.

Pratt Fire Chief David Kramer said they were able to get the fire knocked down fairly quickly but the center of the house, including the kitchen and a bedroom, suffered extensive fire damage.

“There was a lot of fire damage,” Kramer said.

The rest of the house suffered heavy smoke and water damage. Everything in the house was a total loss. Only a couple of pieces of furniture were salvaged.

Kramer said there was a two-inch hole in the furnace fire box and that is where the fire started. It completely burned the walls on both sides of the furnace, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom, and those rooms suffered the worst damage. There was no electrical outlet in the area where the fire started.

Fowler said they did have a smoke detector in the house but had removed the batteries with plans to get new ones on Wednesday because the detector was beeping from the old batteries. No one, including the firefighters, were injured in the fire.

Kramer said they did not find a detector but the entire ceiling area where it would have been located was completely burned out.

The family lost everything in the fire. Anyone wanting to assist the family can contact the Hope Center at 620-933-2166. The Hope Center is open from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Clothing, furniture, appliances, house goods are all needed. Cigarette Outlet in Pratt is also a designated donation site to help the fire victims, and a GoFundMe account has been set up.

Several pets in the house did not survive including four cats, one dog and four birds. Two pets, a dog and cat did survive. The cat had to be resuscitated. Veterinarian Luann Bergner assisted with the animals, Fowler said.

Kramer said firefighters were on site from 3 to 5 a.m. to make sure all the hot spots were out.