Baler malfunction ignites fire
Posted July 9, 2013
A Vermeer baler had an electrical problem and ignited a bale inside the machine southwest of Pratt. Ted Brown was driving the tractor. When he discovered the fire he ejected the bale and tried to extinguish the fire but it spread too fast. It burned much of the field and north to some wheat stubble. Two bales and several windrows were destroyed. Township 12 firefighters extinguished the blaze. The baler suffered minor damage. The fire was south of the intersection at SW 10th Street and SW 10th Avenue on July 3.