Update: Missouri suspects caught in Pratt County

Gale Rose
After a burglary alert from Kingman County, these two suspects were spotted at McDonalds in Pratt, after which they led local law enforcement on a high speed chase in and around the area northeast of Pratt. They were apprehended.

Two Missouri residents were arrested late Wednesday morning following a high speed chase that ended in the northwest quadrant of Pratt County in a tree row.

Pratt law enforcement had been notified to be on the lookout for a suspect vehicle that was involved in a Kingman vehicle burglary where items were taken from a car, said Pratt Police Chief Nate Humble.

Pratt Police Capt. Jeff Ward spotted the alleged suspect vehicle at the Pratt McDonalds drive-through and approached the car to investigate but the the vehicle fled to the east on U.S. 54.

The chase, that reached speeds over 100 mph, went east of Pratt where Humble, plus Pratt County Sheriff's officers and Kansas Highway Patrol officers joined the chase. Stafford, Reno and Kingman Counties were notified of the chase in chase.

The vehicle continued east and south of U.S. 54, then moved north of 54 towards Preston on NE 100th Avenue. The vehicle then proceeded towards Pratt on K-61 but left the highway and drove into the law enforcement perimeter. The vehicle was abandoned in a field near NE 40th Street between NE 90 Avenue and NE 100th Avenue.

A K-9 unit from Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism was brought in to help search a tree line where the alleged suspects had fled. Both suspects were shortly taken into custody without incident. No one was injured and no property was damaged during the chase.

"This is the outcome you always want when something like this happens," Humble said.

Arrested were 41-year-old Steven Ward and 38-year-old Angela Myers, both of Missouri. Both were arrested for attempt to elude: commission of any felony. Both are being held in the Pratt County Jail on no bond.

Myers and Ward are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. This continues to be an ongoing investigation, Humble said.