SUBSCRIBE NOW

Small fire burns storage shed

Gale Rose
Pratt reporter
Pratt Fire Lt. Chad Van Slyke (left) helps Firefighter Mac Callaway as he sprays hot spots beneath an old vehicle at a grass fire at 1102 North Thompson on June 5. A shed and dog house burned in the fire.

Pratt firefighters made quick work of a grass fire at the north end of Pratt that burned a small storage shed and a dog house on Friday, June 5.

Firefighters were called to 1102 North Thompson at 3:27 p.m. When firefighters arrived, they found smoke pouring from the shed and dog house just feet from the residence. Fire fighters had to lay a long line from a hydrant at Holly and Thompson to feed the truck that was at least a block further north of the intersection.

One pair of firefighters attacked the fire in the shed while others attacked dry, burning grass around trees and an old car. There was a lot of dry cheat grass in the lot. The fire was quickly contained with no damage to the residence.

The residents, Larry Newby and Betty Muise as well as a house guest Matt Rost were not injured in the fire. Rost said he had been smoking and threw down a cigarette in the area where the fire started.

No firefighters were injured in the incident.